[Obscore1.1] WD comments

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Jul 9 13:39:45 CEST 2015

Dear DM,

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 04:07:25PM -0400, CresitelloDittmar, Mark wrote:
> B3.5: creation date
>    Shouldn't we update this to clarify that this is not strictly ISO 8601,
> but rather, the FITS standard which is 8601 without the "Z" tag.   There
> was a discussion on this some time ago, and that is the language folded
> into the DatasetMetadata model (Section 6.4.1.1).

Running the risk of bikeshedding, I'd like to mention that IMHO is
the proper reference for VO data formats is DALI, section 3.1.2.

*But*, frankly I don't think data models in general should say
anything about the serialisation of literals, as they may be
serialised into fairly different containers, which in turn may have
conventions of their own.

In the particular case of obscore, these values are going to sit in a
relation database system, which will almost certainly *not* store a
date as a DALI-type string -- in that sense I'm fairly sure none of
the existing obstap servers are compliant.  Fortunately, there's no
way a validator could get me, as it has no way to figure out what I'm
doing behind my VOTable facade.

Anyway, after these considerations I'd propose to remove  all
references to the storage format of dates, in particular in B.3.5 and
B.4.5.

Cheers,

           Markus