ObsCore: o_ucd for uncalibrated data?

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Tue Aug 11 14:48:47 CEST 2015

> So in Alberto's usecase , "phot.count;stat.uncalib" is perfectly valid.

OK !

> UCD are not dedicated to fully identify the nature +format+unit of a quantity
> , so we should keep the Unit information separate, as this is done in the
> VOTable specification for PARAM of FIELD, where the unit attribute can be
> used as /unit='adu'/.

Thanks Mireille, for justification. However I have the feeling that it
would be extremely useful for VO publishers to have some best practice
recipes for expressing common type of data - in particular the optical
ground-based spectra as they seem to bring most complications (partly
because the space data are well defined -  because of effort of HST
and ESAC people who needed it).

And this concerns not only UCD but also UTYPES and in general units as
well.

So can we (as VO insiders) make an agreement on how to express
(i.e what to fill in fields of UCD, UTYPE, UNITS ...)

1) raw spectrum with calibrated wavelength (still issues with vacuum/air
!!! as noticed earlier)

2) continuum normalized spectrum

3) polarimetric spectra in all components

and for the clarity as well

4) absolute flux calibrated ground based spectrum (e.g the SDSS one)

??????????????

And besides this (I know we still do not have standard model and protocol
:-((   for such cases)
however - lot of people want to publish light curves (as a ASCII tables
perhaps binary fits encoded ..) but how to refer in obscore to such a
collection ? (most amateurs have time, magnitude and filter name)

Best regards,

Petr Skoda

*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute CAS         Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                             skoda at asu.cas.cz          *