ObsCore update discussion : adding Axes information in Obscore table

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Apr 27 10:42:34 CEST 2015

On Mon, 27 Apr 2015, Markus Demleitner wrote:

> Now, I admit introducing a second table to obscore is a bit drastic,
> and opposition to that would be well justified. Which brings us back
> to the options for denormalization considered in the mail referenced
> above.
>
> Arrays (one each for axis type and axis length) would be almost ideal
> here, but I don't think we can really formally introduce array
> processing in ADQL.  Can we?

I will just note here that from the output point of view this would
not be problematic: VOTables are, like FITS, quite happy with
array-valued columns.  But I'm not making any comment on the
impact that the introduction of array processing would have on
the rest of the TAP/ADQL standards and implementation stack.