Cube/ImageDM - Comments on Observation-Dataset Overview diagram

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue May 13 07:50:13 PDT 2014

Arnold,

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Arnold Rots <arots at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Because I don't think ObsDataset is something anyone would instantiate..
>> It must be some "kind" of dataset to be useful,  an ImageDataset,
>> SpectralDataset, or even for
>> the DAL services, the particular QueryResponse.
>>

> I'm not so sure. An ObsDataset could be a collection of ImageDataset,
> SpectralDataset, etc.
> Close to home: the Chandra data distribution tar files are really
> ObsDatatsets and contain
> images, spectra, sparse cubes, etc.
>
>   - Arnold

This is why it will be important to be very specific about what we mean by
"Dataset".
 In these diagrams, I am interpreting it as 'a result', a single file if
you will. The
'tar' ball would be a collection of different flavors of <ObsDataset>.

There has been some discussion on this earlier.  I think it was Pat, who
mentioned that he
has switched to using the term "DataProduct" for a single 'result' file,
because it is less
ambiguous.  However, since Dataset was already in use for these models, I
kept the names.

Mark