Cube/ImageDM - Comments on Observation-Dataset Overview diagram

Louys Mireille mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Mon May 12 09:28:31 PDT 2014

Hi Mark , hi DMers,

Thanks for the update.
Here are my comments about the new diagram binding Dataset and Experiment:

- is there any reason why *ObsDataset *is 'slanted' , i.e is considered
as an abstract class?

- relationship between Observation->observationID and
ObsDataset->DataID-> observationID :
the text should clearly state that various situation may appear:
In the CTA project , the DM combines several Observation instances  to
build up an ObsDataset:
  these two classes may have a N..M relationship in the IVOA Image DM to
support the various use-cases.

-the *DataModel *Class:
this class was discussed in order to provide a kind of structured label
for any document expressing the serialisation
of some metadata compliant to an IVOA data model.
I think it should not be hooked to any class , but present as a global
object in any serialisation of any form
VOTable or XML or FITS .

-*Derived* Class
This is a fuzzy concept that represent the kind of things that can be
computed from the data,  here SNR, VarAmpl, Redshift.
I understand we need it but cannot precisely these kinds of
interpretation results.
*Derived *could be just a container with a variation of computed
measures, SNR, VarAmpl, Redshift , etc...
then this can be re considered after some practical usage.

- composition of *Observation *with *BaseTarget*
I suggest to have two links of composition on AstroTarget and Target ,
with cardinality 0..1.

- *position *in a *Target*: an AstroCoordinate from STC DM  would be
directly usable from an application.
an intermediate type does not seem useful to me here.

best wishes.
Mireille