[Cube/ImageDM] NDImageDataset Comments

Louys Mireille mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Wed May 7 09:05:01 PDT 2014

Hi Mark,
Hi all,

I am trying to recap on the various diagrams you have produced . It is a
huge amount of work , as said before which accomplishes a global
adjustment of all the concepts worked out so far in the DM WG effort.
Please take my comments as constructive criticism only.

Here a few comments about the ND Image Dataset diagram:
Let me just reformulate what I have understood from the diagram, and how
I can interprete it for an Image processing application  :

an NDImageDataset is a subclass of ObsDataset, and contains a set of
PixelatedData, that I can reference by using the reference "data".
"data" could possibly be implemented as the pointeur to the ND-array of
all the Voxels that are read in a FITS file when I load the file content
in memory , for let say astrometric calibration , registration ,
regridding , etc.

As mentionned by FB and MCD , the composition is tricky here :
I would not expect an abstract class to be an element of Voxel ( here
/AstroAxisCoordinate/) .
I guess , we have an easier way in composing directly the different
'something'AxisCoordinate classes , for which we can specify the
cardinality one by one .

I suppose that the ND array inside the PixelatedData will be read from a
file.
Where is this file name stored in the model ?
If I look in DatasetOverview diagram , I can probably extrapolate the
filename I am talking about from the DataID Class, but I think , it
would be much simpler to use the Access class that was designed in ObsCore.

More in separate mails.
best regards , Mireille