[Cube/vo-dml] ivoa datatypes

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue May 6 13:12:28 PDT 2014

All,

I'll add my $.02 from the spectral model side.
Your example snippets point out that the same metadata of name, unit, ucd..
is used in 2 places in the model
   + once for the Data axis.. often serialized in the FIELD element
   + once for the Char axis, which summarizes the content of a Data axis.
        here, they indicate which data axis is being characterized, and/or
holding defaults for the data values.

I agree that the serialization of this information is not clear, especially
for VOTable, and is a bit of a pain to
implement.  The Spectral model Section 3.9.1 is supposed to clarify how the
Char and Data axis info relate.

I think the hierarchy is supposed to be
  Char.*Axis.Name == matches CharAxis with DataAxis
  Char.*Axis.UCD == UCD for CharAxis and default for the DataAxis  values
  Char.*Axis.Unit  == Unit for CharAxis and default for DataAxis values.

So, unfortunately, I think you would want to serialize the Char PARAMs, and
if you then also include
them (ucd,unit) in the FIELD, they would be explicitly providing those
values for the Data points.

Hope that helps..

Mark