[Cube/vo-dml] ivoa datatypes

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 24 10:48:16 PDT 2014

The time issue is a little more complicated than that.
Assuming that the datetime primitive type is a subset of ISO-8601,
TimeValue is really an ISOTimeInstant.
One should be cognizant of the fact that time instants can be expressed
through an ISO-8601 datetime string, JD, or MJD; they are fully equivalent
and equally valid expressions - except for the fact that ISO-8601 has a
limited range.
Units do not really play a role here: ISO-8601 has no units and 'd' is
implied
fro JD and MJD.
However, TimeInstant should be clearly distinguished from TimeDuration
which does require a unit (s, d, a, cy, yr).

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA