ImageDM/ObsCore - Dataset

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 31 18:12:31 PDT 2013

My intent in bringing this up was to point out the inconsistency and
motivation for the Dataset object.
Since it is generally agreed that the priority is on generating good
models/class definitions, the following would seem to be the proper
modeling of this section:

  If we accept that "Observation" *is* a dataset.. then
  1) the generalization to "ObservationDataset" is valid

  2) That object should contain the metadata associated to the dataset
      (dataProductType, dataProductSubType, CalibLevel, etc )

  3) There is no need for a "Dataset" class/object, because it already IS a
dataset.

  4) The extension to Observation adds the Derived and DataModel objects,
and the *SI unit attributes?
  4a) Some or these could be absorbed by the Observation model, though I
think only DataModel is generic.

Sound right?

Mark