ImageDM - ObsCore Convergence

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 29 15:05:04 PDT 2013

All,

Attached is a UML diagram that I was working on at ADASS which works the
ObsCore extension for the Spectral Model, which identically shares this
part with ImageDM...

What is in the blue folder is ObservationDM which refers to/uses Char which
I diagram in a Red folder.

I'm not sure how much change the Observation model can do, so I worked this
as a minimal change task.

1) Pretend Observation is an extension of an abstract base
"ObservationDataset" class (shaded blue).  This gives us something to
extend for other types of dataset and allows us to make separate the "Obs"
node which does not agree with what Image/Spectral are doing with Dataset
and DataModel.

2) Extend the abstract ObservationDataset to a "SpectralDataset" or
(something else)..  where we can add the pieces missing from Observation
that we need at this level.
     - add Dataset object, with combined Observation and Dataset attributes
plus DataModel
     - add Derived object which is in SpectralDM but not Observation.
Alternatively, it could be off BaseSPS.
   Another option would be to override the "ObservationDataset" class,
adding the new components, but since some of these are Spectral specific
(Derived, Dataset.spectralSI), I did it this way.

3) Extend SpectralDataset to be "BaseSPS" from the Spectral Model.. for
Image model, this would be the Image block I think.

In this way, or something similar, the new models extend Observation and
use the same Char.  We just define what is new, or different.  If
Observation can change and absorbs some of the elements (Dataset), to be
more uniform, then things become simpler.

Hope this helps spark discussion!
Mark