[Observation] relation to Dataset

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 26 11:11:35 PST 2013

All,

I generated a UML diagram showing a separation of Observation from Dataset
elements. (Link below... also on twiki)
In my previous diagram.. there was the "ObservationDataset" element which
represents the current model.  In this diagram, there is a 1:1 relation.

Here, I have separate the Observation part from the Dataset part, and
modified the relation to show (1..*) from Observation to Dataset.
  - this is merely a shuffling of components, I have not shifted attributes
or anything like that
  - the objects previously diagrammed in a Provenance package remain
there.. unchanged, but elaborated.
  - the object hierarchy and content are compatible with the current
ObsCore document

Note about the ObsTap package, which may be confusing.
  - ObsCore document describes a 'Core' set of Observation elements to
support ObsTap.
  - Observation in this diagram, is NOT what that document refers to.. but
rather "Dataset".
  - So I have diagrammed it as an ObsTap package which defines the REQ
elements, sets restrictions and adds Access
    (basically everything the current ObsCore document does.)
  - The current ObsCore could be refactored to this structure, OR be
represented as in the previous diagram.

For ongoing work, Image/Spectral etc will be extensions of Dataset, and
again, the content and hierarchy of metadata is unchanged.

Link:
https://volute.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/projects/dm/ImageDM/doc/Observation_Dataset_separation.png

Mark