[Observation] relation to Dataset

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Fri Nov 22 10:26:03 PST 2013

I agree that the generic Dataset is the more fundamental concept here:
an Observation is not a Dataset but a data product derived from an
Observation is a Dataset, and there can be Datasets that are not derived
from a single observation or any observation.   - Doug

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013, Gerard Lemson wrote:

> [...]
> pattern for a more comprehensive Provenance model I referred to in my
> earlier, somewhat ignored email. For details look under "domain model" and
> also under "simulation data model" on the DM page.
> And see the sketch for the Provenance model from GAVO that follows this
> pattern.
>
>> But the real reason we stretched
>> the concept a bit in ObsTAP was merely to be able to provide a single
> uniform
>> index (the ObsTAP index) for science data products in an archive.
>>
>> I agree that the observation-dataset modeling needs to be more
>> comprehensive; my guess is that this can be done in a relational fashion
> by
>> adding one or more additional models/tables to hold the additional
> metadata
>> and relationships.  The relational model can easily represent the required
> many-
>> to-many relationship.
>>
> This is where one SHOULD (if not MUST) start from a proper VO-DML model.
> It is the appropriate language, developed in another IVOA effort also, for
> expressing data models of the complexity that is required. And it is easily
> mapped to for example a relational model or can be easily used to annotate
> such a database model (see another email I sent recently).
>
> Cheers
> Gerard
>
>>  	- Doug
>>

>> On Fri, 22 Nov 2013, Arnold Rots wrote:
>>
>>> I strongly object to this statement:
>>>
>>> "the data product may be the result of combining data from multiple
>>> primary (physical) observations.  In this case the resulting data
>>> product is a new processed "observation" to which a new unique
>>> observation identifier should be assigned."
>>>
>>> We really need to distinguish clearly between Datasets and Observations.
>>> An Observation represents an operation that is characterized by a
>>> configuration
>>> - instrument characteristics, coordinate volume and properties,
>>> calibration, etc.
>>> A Dataset is a container of bytes that may have resulted from an
>>> Observation (the byte stream that came out of the telescope or various
>>> direct processing products of it), a simulation, or the processing and
>>> analysis of (possibly a subset) of one or more parent Datasets.
>>> Each Dataset also carries metadata detailing coordinate
>>> characteristics, the nature of the Dataset and its components, and its
>>> provenance regarding its parents.
>>>
>>> Blurring the line between Observations and Datasets and carelessly
>>> forcing one to assume the characteristics of the other is going to get
>>> us into major trouble.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>>   - Arnold

>>> Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
>>> Science Center Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
>>> 60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1
>>> 617