[Observation] relation to Dataset

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 21 09:54:26 PST 2013

There is no question that real data has this many-to-many mapping: an
observation may have multiple datasets, and an individual dataset may be
produced from mutliple observations or other datasets.  However, this
does not mean that the Observation model for example, needs to itself
describe more than a single observation or dataset.  The OBS_ID
attribute in ObsCore for example already provides some simple support
for multiple datasets within a single observation.  Provenance could in
the future provide a way to determine the progenitor datasets used to
compute a dataset, as well as the operation performed.

I just suggest that we need to think more broadly about this.  The
solution may involve relationships between more than one model.  ObsCore
may already provide a sufficient solution for the more narrow problem it
is dealing with.

 	- Doug