Fwd: Re: [ImageDM]: Provenance

Louys Mireille mireille.louys at unistra.fr
Fri Nov 15 06:05:12 PST 2013

Hello Mark, all
in the last discusion I attended about Provenance , I think in
Heidelberg, I remember we identified two kinds of Provenance:
1- instrumental configuration and observing conditions
2- processing applied , identifying the progenitors datasets and the
actions executed on them.

Obscore has only a few items for the instrumental provenance. This can
be developped further.
On the contrary the "computational " Provenance is not yet defined but a
simple sketch is needed to clarify the relationship  between Image and
ObsData in the current version of ImageDM.

I think this is a secundary specification for this model ( Image) and
this should not prevent to do the required prototyping right now for the
main classes already defined.
More work is needed to express Image <--> ObsData and the
progenitor-like relationship.
GAVO is also involved in the definition of the Provenance package and
the two aspects I mention above.

about the current version for ImageDM:
May be we could define a "InstrumentalProvenance" class as a hub to
enter the Provenance Package, as we do for Characterisation DM.
Or if one prefers , a Provenance Class with two subclasses for
InstrumentalProvenance and ProcessingProvenance , but this adds one
level of nesting .

my2c,
Mireille

--
Mireille Louys	, Maître de conférences
Centre de Données astrophysiques de  	Icube & Télécom Physique Strasbourg				Pôle API