STC-S Velocities

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 21 07:05:05 PDT 2013

Actually, the argument has been laid out in the STC document,
sections 2 and 4.4.1.4 and a mention in sections 1 and 4.4.2.2.

The issue is that Doppler velocities are formal, not physical,
velocities - the values are calculated using one of at least three
different formalisms.
There can be a fine line: One can analyze Doppler velocities in
a galaxy and derive a rotation curve with physical velocities.
The the conversion from delta_nu, using the radio, optical, or
"relativistic" formula, only yields a formal velocity that is not
necessarily physical.
I have seen the most awful examples resulting from confusion
over which definition was used.
It's a lot cleaner to keep these things properly separated.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA