[ImageDM] Mapping

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 20 10:43:08 PST 2013

See below

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM, François Bonnarel <
francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>     Starting from the email below we exchanged a few emails Mark and me.
> I try here to publish a digest of this discussion:

> Mark wrote
>
>  To clarify on my side..
> I feel the Mapping object consolidates a lot of information which IS
> dispersed in the model.  The description of the attributes and their role
> show that.  I have just formalized the distribution into STC objects.
>  And again.. if there is a need for an 'encapsulation' of this information
> for a QueryResponse or something, that is fine.  I just think the data
> product model (ImageDM) should have the distribution formalized.
>
> I answered :
>
> I think we need that. How should that work  ? mapping attributes having
> STC types ?
>
> to which Mark :
>
> In ImageDM, these attributes would be disbursed in the model.
>  e.g Mapping.SpatialAxis.CoordFrame  would be modeled at
> CoordSys.SpaceFrame.name
>        Mapping.SpatialAxis.Algorithm would be at
> CoordSys.SpaceFrame.Space2DRefFrame.projection
>        (NOTE: these are model paths, not utypes).
>
>  If Mapping is needed in siap for example, it would define the class and
> how to populate it from the disbursed ImageDM model elements.
>  (basically the reverse of what I did in this doc.)
>  The names arrangements and types can be whatever siap wants.
>
>  My comment after  other mail exchange with Mark: We will Create a Mapping
> class in ImageDM and populate it with attributes from other classes
> (basically CoordSys. This Mapping class, closer what WCS packages are
> waiting for  could be included in SIAV2 full-metatadata    response.

This sounds like re-inventing STC to me.

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 2nd Topic , difficulties I saw with Mapping with STC (this required a lot
> of mail exchange, so I give you my own conclusion only)
> Mark said :
>

>  In the very last diagram, I left off the CoordSys and PixelCoordSys
> nodes which are in figures 3 and 4.  My thinking is that ALL coordinate
> systems would be kept together as (1..*) CoordSys hanging off the main
> object (Image) and each Axis would have a reference to the relevant Frame
> within a CoordSys.
>
>  I don't understand what you mean about the 'customized' frames here.
> All of the frames in the last picture are STC Frame descriptions.
>  The PixelFrame holds a reference to a "SpaceRefFrame" (for example)
> which has the Transform between the SpaceFrame and PixelFrame.
> The PixelFrame also has the reference pixel and position.
>

>  I'm not sure it is in the STC domain to define all the possible
> transforms.  I'd much rather work the problem at that level than try to
> re-create the whole coordinate system dependency model.
>

> To summarize after a couple of iterations with Mark I see two difficulties
> :
>
>       A ) the Non Linear Transforms are rendered in Mark's work by STC
> "projection" attribute.  But the lookup (ans also polynomial) transforms
> have to be added. So what you are actually defining is an STC extension.
>            By the way, the SpaceFrame Mark is using do not contain a
> RefPix which is only in PixelFrame. It should be added in an extension, but
> I don't know if this makes sense.

This does not make sense, because it is not needed. The projection is
defined
in the PixelRefFrame and that needs a reference to a CoordFrame as the
projection target,
but the reverse is not needed.

>       B ) something more conceptual:
>             I feel uncomfortable because the ("unique") CoordSys we obtain
> eventually to gather all the Mapping information MUST be :
>               a CordSys with Frame with CARTESIAN flavor not SPHERICAL
> (that means it defines coordinates in the "projected plane" )
>                It also has specific lonpole, lat pole, Ad hox referenec
> positions etc...
>             So it is not the standard , spherical Coordinate system
> belonging to the ICRS, FK5, GALACTIC ..... list that people could probably
> wait for.
>
>             -----> Hence My question : do we need a generic CoordSys
> (final spherical one) at the top lmevel of the model and another one,
> CARTESIAN, will all the transforms, seen as the "intermediate coordinate
> system" under Mapping.CoordSys ?

If I understand correctly what you are saying here, that is precisely
provided by the PixelFrames in the PixelCoordSystem.