[ImageDM] Mapping

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 10 14:16:37 PST 2013

Doug,

What I believe the document shows is that
  - the FITS WCS Serialization ( as encapsulated by the Mapping object ) is
compatible with the STC Model.

Given that FITS-WCS serialization is a widely used standard, it is
important to illustrate that the STC model is compatible with it.
I would expect that to have happened before it became a recommendation.  It
may be useful to have a reference document showing the various FITS-WCS
serialization options and their representations in STC objects.  A lot of
that information is in the document I just put out, but is not directly
shown.

But I don't understand the concern behind the questions below.

It reads like you are asking how many tools/libraries understand the
STC-S/STC-X serializations before considering use of the Model within
ImageDM.
I don't see the relevance.  All we should need to show is that it is
compatible with whatever existing standard serializations are required
(FITS-WCS is all I've heard).
Is there another Ascii/XML representation of WCS that existing tools do
understand?

If the concern is that STC may allow additional options not representable
by FITS-WCS, I don't think that is a constraint.

I feel like we've been around this barn before, so maybe someone else can
help illustrate the issue from another angle to help clarify things for me?

Mark