[ImageDM] Mapping

Arnold Rots arots at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 5 12:24:23 PST 2013

I want to come back to this statement (notwithstanding Doug's hope to avoid
this):

*In the case of STC, we did a comparison of STC to FITS WCS a while back.
STC does have some capability for this, but it is quite limited compared to
FITS WCS.*
It is just plain wrong. The transformations incorporated in STC are
perfectly
equivalent to the way FITS WCS handles them. It's all contained in the
PixelFrame: reference pixel, reference value, scale (optional angle) or CD
matrix,
and projection type.
The list of projection types is shorter, but it contains the most common
ones and
obviously can be extended. The PC matrix is missing and so are PV and PS,
but I believe that in practice the CD matrix or the CDELTs cover most, if
not all,
cases.
And the PixelCoordSystem allows multiple PixelFrames, facilitating linking
the
pixel array to alternate coordinate systems.
So, all the functionality is there and the mapping between STC and WCS is
unambiguous, in both directions, which tells me that there is no good reason
to embed WCS mappings in VO cube metadata, since there is a perfectly good
mechanism provided by IVOA standards.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                          Chandra X-ray
Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory                   tel:  +1 617 496
7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67                                      fax:  +1 617
495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
arots at cfa.harvard.edu
USA