History on Simple Time Series

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 26 06:23:26 PDT 2012

The Berkeley Simple Time Series model came up again, so I thought it
might be good to provide the context from two and a half years ago.
Particularly because the STS schema contains a comment that may lead
one to believe that it has my blessing.

John Brewer had put the STS schema together for Josh Bloom and there
seemed to be a desire to make it consistent (if not compatible) with
IVOA standards.
I proposed a modification and John accepted some of the the
suggestions, coming back with the next version.
At that point I suggested to achieve consistency in nomenclature which
would requrie some minor changes that were not substantive, and I
proposed a compromise schema.

The Berkeley group never really responded and the current STS schema
they use is the last version John Brewer sent me. So, my conclusion
was that they were not really interested in consistency or compliance
with IVOA standards.

If IVOA is inclined to take another look at the STS schema, I would
suggest that this matter be taken up again.

Most of this is discussed in the last half of the attached document
which is also available at:

      http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/nvometa/STC/TimeSeriesTableFormats.pdf

My last proposed version of the schema is at:

      http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/nvometa/STC/sts.xsd

  - Arnold

Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu