SED Data Model working draft (on behalf of D. Tody)

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 24 05:45:13 PDT 2012

Hi Mark, Omar -

Thanks for the comments - this is the kind of discussion we need to have
to finally bring this together.

I haven't had time to read all this carefully yet, and need to switch
back to SIAV2 and Image soon.  A few quick comments however.

Much of this discussion concerns the aggregate SED and segments.  In
this most recent SEDDM it is proposed that a segment of the aggregate
SED is an externally viable, self contained dataset, which is merely
stored in the serialized aggregate SED, with the votable or FITS MEF
serving as a container (pointing to an actual external dataset with a
URI is also permitted and might be desirable for large datasets).
Usually this externally viable dataset could indeed be an object derived
from SpectralDM and compliant with the VO models, but if we merely have
a simple container of segments this does not have to be the case.  Since
the aggregate SED is used for SED building or editing it could be
desirable to include or reference native datasets which have not been
converted to a VO model.

If instead we want to require that segments of the aggregate SED must be
derived from and compatible with the SpectralDM then the model might
indeed want to be changed as you both describe.  Even in this case
however it is possible to merely provide a container for aggregating
externally viable, standalone datasets, giving us the flexibility to
reference external data in some native format.

** So the issue to be decided here is whether we permit the aggregate
SED to reference native datasets or restrict it to only data classes
derived from SDM **

The uniform SED of course, is fully transformed into VO and compliant
with SDM and there is no such issue.

>  "Uniform (or rebinned)"  I think implies a synonym relationship, while the
> description that follows shows that they have a different level of
> processing.  Also, it says that rebinned handles overlaps.  Does that mean
> that Uniform does NOT.. so the single Uniform sequence can have overlapping
> data?

Yes, it is possible for segments in the uniform SED to overlap, e.g., a
spectrum may overlap another spectrum or photometry point from another
observation (segment).  Rebinning further normalizes the data to combine
any overlapped regions, which may or may not be desirable.  In both
cases we have a uniform SED however.  (This business of uniform vs
rebinning originated with Jonathan).

> Section 3.5.1:
>  + Utypes containing SED?  Isn't this contrary to the changes we did to
> remove the 'Spectrum' node from Spectral utypes?

We decided earlier that we would have a core SpectralDM defining classes
which are common to all the models - Spectrum, SED, TimeSeries, etc.  So
Dataset, Char, DataID, etc. Utypes do not start with "Spectrum.",
"SED." and so on, and are the same for all classes of data derived from
the model.  We would then extend the core model by adding a class which
is for stuff which really is specific to the particular class of data
and not part of the generic core, inherited model.  Hence for TimeSeries
for example, all the usual SDM stuff is there unchanged, but we add a
new class TimeSeries which contains metadata specific to time series
data, e.g., information about the period or periods, trend removal,
whatever.  For SED we have a similar construct.  Most of the SDM is
inherited unchanged, the Utypes are generic, but stuff which is really
specific to SED, e.g., nSegments, is put into a SED.xx element.

 	- Doug