how to make a publisherDID

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Oct 26 10:49:11 PDT 2011

On 2011-10-26 07:33:08 Douglas Tody wrote:
> So far as conventions go my preference is still for something like
>
>      ivo://cadc.nrc.ca/archive/cfht#12345/raw
>
> where the convention is that ivo://<authority-id>/<collection-name>
> (everything before the #) is also the collection identifier and the
> remainder is the specific data product ID within the collection.
> Perhaps this should eventually be more than just a convention.

Yeah, I did this because the stuff before the # is in fact a regsistered
DataCollection, but according to the discussions this means that there is one
identified resource and that in principle one could resolve it, get it, and find
the fragment within. That is definiotely *not* what we want to say.

I can live with <authority>/<dataset-specific_id>, but if we want to enable
someone with a publisherDID to find and download that dataset it presupposes
that the client could find services owned/operated by that authority and invoke
the service(s) with the publisherDID. Alternatively, if it means (in future)
they look for a specific type of service under that authority then it is more
or less manageable, but having multiple services is still problematic. I
personally don't care much about that because we are trying very hard to
provide common services across all our collections, but other people may not
like it.

I realise that publisherDIDs seem quite disconnected from using services, but
I can't ignore this idea that being able to resolve them in a prescribed way
seems like a really good idea.

--

Patrick Dowler
Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7