[obs-tap] draft summary topic 3 *Access Format*

François Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Wed Mar 23 16:25:09 PDT 2011

Le 18/03/2011 19:10, Mireille Louys a écrit :
> [obs-tap] draft summary topic 3 *Access Format*
>
> We need right now new possibilities on top of current MIME types used
> in the VO in order to express combinations, archive file formats:
> directory, tar, ?
> ( Tom McGlynn's use-case , Garching discussions)
>
> I suggest to start with a list of possible values :
> A la MIME type :  image/jpeg, image/fits, application/x-votable+xml,...
> A la UCD:
> fits.image;gz  // if compressed
> fits.cube.muse // special format with flux and variance in 2 diff fits
> extensions
> fits.mef
> fits.evla
> ms
> etc... as suggested by Juande on the wiki page
>
> This topic still need some examples to try to cover most of the
> possibilities.
>
> Thanks, ML

Well Here I differ a bit from Mireille and JuanDE I think.
To Have the mime type (at least) is necessary for compatibility with SIA
or SSA.
image/fits and application/fits are not enough. text/xml  and
application/x-votable+xm
are also necessary as well as image/jpeg or other image formats....

I favor the option to MIX the mime type approach and the UCD scheme...
Additional information can be given by words written after the semi column:
image/fits;gz
or application/fits;mef could be usefull no ?