[ObsCoreRFC]Minutes of the telco Monday June 6

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Jun 9 13:25:19 PDT 2011

The notion of "mandatory" in the ObsCore physical model (the table) is that
the column must be there and thus the (ADQL) query will run successfully.

Having said that, if an service provider simply adds the column (pol_states
VARCHAR(32) and leaves all the values NULL, it will behave as you say below
(unless of course the WHERE clause had "pol_states IS NULL" as that would
potentially return rows :-)

So, the information is not mandatory: the presence of the column is mandatory.
Now, for a TAP service to behave as you suggest below for columns they do not
have in the table or view -- that would be very onerous to implement.

Hope that is clear,

Pat

--

Patrick Dowler
Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7