[obs-tap]:updates on the Proposed recommendation

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 5 13:28:30 PDT 2011

Mireille,

Here are some items.

Ian Evans noticed the inconsistency in units for spatial resolution
between the Tables 1, 4, 5, and 6 (arcsec vs. deg); what should it be?
I assume deg?
See also s_stat_error in Table 5.

In addition, I noticed that Table 5 contained unit "day" that should
be "d", Table 7 has erroneous unit "d" for data rights and is missing
most units.

The section on obs_publisher_did is a bit murky and not quite
consistent with the definition in the spectral data model where it
expresses a strong preference for using the same DIDs as are being
used in the journals.
That implies that the data product the query result refers to may be a
subset of what the DID stands for, as the current spectral draft
affirms.
On the other hand, I don't think the spectrum DM and the SSA DAL are
quite consistent in this respect. It might be good to have a more
thorough discussion on these DIDs and consistency between all PRs.

It also brings me back to the issue I have been harping on: what to
do with packages of products pertaining to a single observation;
I will not repeat that here.

However, there is also the reverse problem: what do we do with data
products based on multiple observations? Do we allow ObsId to be a
list of ObsIds?

I still find the bibcodes a bit problematic. The SSA DAL doc calls it
a "curation reference", but in the text seesm to imply that any
publication mentioning the data is fair game. Is this really meant to
be a reference to the data, or is it to be any paper that references
the data? There is a difference between these two...
I realize, though, that this is primarily an issue for the SSA DAL doc.
But it has repercussions for this document as well.

Cheers,

  - Arnold

Mireille Louys wrote:
> Arnold, Daniel,
> This is a second try . I mixed adresses with a strange copy/paste.
> Sorry , Mireille.

> Dear all ,
>
> Here is an updated version of the ObsCore DM document.
> I tried to correct and modify the text according to:
> - typos and inconsitencies mentionned by Petr on RFC page
> - comments given in mails
> - actions listed during the telco on June 6th
>
> Modifications are highlighted to help you tracking the changes.
> *check pol_states*
> I maintained the first proposal of having a list with / , with a
> leading / to help
> distinguish Y from other combinations XY, YY , YX etc..
> --> Using a leading comma was too strange for me.
>
> table 6 and 7 use TAP defined columns: principal, indexed, standard.
> I filled them in with my personnal understanding .
> It would be useful to have data base system managers to check this .
>
> to be inserted : update of section 5 for registering an ObsTAP service.
>
> Thanks for your reading and comments (the very last ones, I hope)
> Cheers , Mireille

[ Attachment, skipping... ]
Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu