Characterisation data model version 2.0 draft

Francois Bonnarel francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr
Wed Aug 24 05:43:34 PDT 2011

Dear all,
    A bug was preventing most of you from correct reading of the Char2
Working draft
    It's now fixed. so we are waiting for your comments ....
Cheers
François
François Bonnarel a écrit :
> Dear all,
>
>       I would like to announce the very first release of the
> Characterisation version 2 Working draft...
>
>       This effort started immediatly after the release of version 1.0
> of the model more than 3 years ago, because
> some extended features (level 4 characterisation, complex data) had
> been intentionnaly postponed for a future version...
>       Since 2008, we also encountered data providers and other working
> group feedback on version 1. From 2009
> on, the ObsTap effort led to a couple of additional slight changes in
> the model...
>       This effort had been mainly slowed down for the reason that most
> participants were concentrated on this
> Obstap effort but nonetheless it was regularly reported at each
> Interop from May 2008 to May 2011
> (see eg My napoli presentation:
> http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InteropMay2011DM/CharVersion2.0.pdf)
>        Beside the obstap-motivated changes the new version allows
> taking into account Composed datasets,
> Polarization and discrete-valued axes,  Redshift axes, sensitivity
> maps, psf, resolution variation maps, etc...
>       A prototyped version of characterisation 2 metadata service has
> been used by Igor in his spectrum "best fit"
> service presented in Nara and Napoli.
>       Xml schema is actually ready but will be posted only in August
> on this list...
>       The draft version is there:
> http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/CharacterisationDataModel/NewChar2.pdf
>  There is still lot of editorial mistakes probably, but it's now time
> to discuss the ideas more widely...
>       The draft contains the description of an Extended package which
> is probably usefull for IVOA outside
> the context of Char 2 (within povenance and Data Link as I wrote in my
> email on this topic yesterday).
>      We may have to decide to make a dedicated document for this
> extended access package...
>
> Best regards
> François

François   Bonnarel           Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
CDS (Centre de données        11, rue de l'Université
astronomiques de Strasbourg)  F--67000 Strasbourg (France)

Tel: +33-(0)3 68 85 24 11     WWW: http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/people/fb.html
Fax: +33-(0)3 68 85 24 25     E-mail: francois.bonnarel at astro.unistra.fr