VOunits draft

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Tue May 26 13:36:17 PDT 2009

On May 26, 2009, at 12:56 PM, Anita M. S. Richards wrote:

>> So will folks have to convert 1 megaparsec to 30.9 Zettameters (Zm)?
>
> One folk will write a piece of code (or has already done so) which
> everyone else can use seamlessly without even realising.  If it does
> not give the game away by converting 30.9 to 30.8888888756789...

So the answer to my question is yes?  The most fundamental of the
numerical user issues are errors introduced by back-and-forth unit
conversions.  1.000000000 megaparsecs turns into 30.85.. Zm, which are
truncated back to 0.999832... megaparsecs at the other end.

VO users will expect that an input table with a list of distances in
integral numbers of parsecs will not be turned into a bunch of
floating point numbers suffering from various truncation and rounding
errors.

> er, don't we all want everyone to use standards which the IVOA has
> adopted?

We want them to use IVOA standards because the requirements of their
own projects make specific IVOA standards the most appropriate for
their purposes.  This appears to be the case with VOEvent, for instance.

> And NB the Units workpackage is only talking about providing tools
> for conversions which are the same for any given data - e.g. not
> most magnitude systems...

If I understand your point, this would eliminate all the STC use
cases, too.

Rob