VOunits draft

Hervé Wozniak herve.wozniak at unistra.fr
Sun May 24 23:23:23 PDT 2009

I think using SI prefix is rather a good idea. The number of SI prefixes
is fixed and rather short (20) compared to other stuff we have often to
compile... (including units!) :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix

However, if we want to use the full SI system to transport data from the
data provider to any client, after maybe some pipeline process or
workflow, we have to keep as much as possible the accurary of the
original data during the various transformations (at least two: orginal
units to SI, SI to client units. But maybe some intermediate clients
would make internal conversions).

I agree there is no problem to change cm into m with SI prefix but it
could be a bit more tricky to keep accuracy when you move from Kcal to J
(not the worst case anyway but maybe other readers can find more
difficult cases, especially those including a physical constant; and
this depends a bit on the number of significant digits in the original
data). Technically, to prevent any lost in accurary, we have to keep the
real numbers in the *normalised* range of values, so we need prefixes.

Herve

--
Herve WOZNIAK

Astronome
Observatoire Astronomique de Strasbourg
UMR 7550 Universite de Strasbourg - CNRS
11, rue de l'Universite, F-67000 Strasbourg

Tel/Phone : +33 3 90 24 24 45   Fax : +33 3 90 24 24 32

mel/mail : herve.wozniak at unistra.fr skype : herve.wozniak

http://herve.wozniak.fr/