utype questions

Douglas Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 29 17:42:08 PDT 2009

Hi Matthew -

Your usage of UTYPEs is actually pretty unusual; no one has yet
used them to identify query parameters.  While query-by-DM-UTYPE
would be possible, parameters generally have more complex semantics.
UTYPEs are instead simply used to identify the fields of a data model.
To understand the attributes of a data model, one needs to first
understand the full data model, that is, the object being described
by these attributes.  There are many contexts in which such a DM
could be used.

A simple example from classical astronomy is a FITS WCS.  In FITS this
is represented as a bunch of keyword-value pairs.  If we separate
the semantics (data model) from the representation then the UTYPEs
identify the data model attributes, adding a namespace and avoiding the
8 character and other limits of the FITS representation in the process.
We can serialize the same FITS WCS in many ways, but it is the same
object in all cases.  Class code which manipulates the WCS does not
care how it is serialized.

To understand an individual attribute of the WCS it really won't do
to merely look up a brief description of that individual parameter;
one really needs to understand the WCS object.  In any case when
one manipulates a WCS the primary thing is not to look up help text,
but to be able to easily access and manipulate the WCS attributes.
Neither does the user care much about individual WCS attributes,
rather they want to know in general terms what kind of WCS it is.

In other words it is a complex object.  If you are focusing on
individual attributes and not the object, you are missing the point.

 	- Doug