relative fluxes

Mireille Louys louys at newb6.u-strasbg.fr
Tue Jun 16 23:19:34 PDT 2009

Hi again Alberto,
I forward this to the list too...Mireille

Hi all,

Alberto Micol wrote:

> Dear SpectrumDM + SSA but also UNITs authors
>
> As per the SpectrumDM, the flux calibration can be described to be one of:
> - ABSOLUTE
> - RELATIVE
> - NORMALIZED
> - UNCALIBRATED
>
> Now, at ESO we have some spectra which are calibrated in a RELATIVE way
> (i.e. the ratio between any two points gives the right answer) but their
> flux
> is off by an undetermined constant multiplicative factor. Therefore the
> spectra
> end up having "flux" values between e.g. 0.0 and 0.6.
>
> As an example, please see this preview:
> http://archive.eso.org/~amicol/tmp/relative_flux_spectrum.png
>
> The question I have is about the UNITs of such spectrum.

I guess more metadata should be provided along the Y axis here:
title: flux...
Calibration status: relative
Offset value= 12345 or 'Unknown'
units = unitless or '   '
ucd = phot.flux.density;em.wl

> The mentioned preview shows the flux label "relative flux" because this
> is what the units are currently set to!
>
> But obviously the string "relative flux" is not an acceptable unit string.
>
> We could hence set the units to be "erg/cm**2/s/Angstrom"
> but I would be very much afraid of the astronomers' reaction
> when they would display the spectrum to see values ranging from 0.0 to 0.6.
> They would normally not get to see the calibration status (RELATIVE),
> or even if displayed, they wil not understand the meaning of it, will they?
>
> Another option could be to leave the flux unit string empty,
> therefore leaving entirely to the UCD (presumably:
> phot.flux.density;em.wl in my case)
> the task of describing whether the spectrum is binned in wavelength,
> or frequency/energy. Is this the correct way?
> (But will the astronomers see the UCD? obviously not)
>
> What is a pragmatic and coherent solution to this? Eager to get your
> suggestions.
>
> Finally, whatever the outcome, it would be extremely nice if the
> SpetrumDM + SSA,
> presumably within an associated note or tutorial,
> could describe this kind of scenarios and provide suggestions to the
> diligent but VO-unaware (or even VO-aware, but very much undecided, like
> me)
> data providers.

Yes, I fully agree with the necessity of a User's guide covering various
  uses-cases to be represented using SSA or Spectrum Utypes .

> The worst could happen is that different  data providers will
> describe the same situation in different ways, hence hampering
> interoperability.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Alberto
>
> PS:
> BTW, I just noticed a little typo in the SpectrumDM document,
> on the table3 "Flux Value options":
> Spectrum.Char.SpatialAxis.ucd  meta.ucd   ucd for spectral coord  REC
> pos.eq
> Spectrum.Char.SpatialAxis.unit meta.unit  Unit for spectral coord REC
> deg
> Obviously those are not "spectral" coordinates; keep it in mind for the
> next
> version of the document.

Thanks Alberto for pointing this .
I'll check this with Jonathan.
Cheers , Mireille

  Mireille LOUYS          mailto: Mireille.Louys at astro.u-strasbg.fr

L S I I T                       &     CDS,
Ecole Nationale Superieure            Observatoire de Strasbourg
de Physique de Strasbourg,            11, Rue de l'Universite
Boulevard Sébastien Brant, BP 10413   67000 STRASBOURG
67412 ILLKIRCH Cedex       	      Tel: +33 3 90 24 24 34