concept representation/displaying language?

Francois Ochsenbein francois at vizier.u-strasbg.fr
Fri Jun 5 09:17:22 PDT 2009

Hi Carlos,

Your message is not messy at all -- I think I understand more or
less your wish -- and effectively the solution (C) looks as most
appropriate.

Just a suggestion in your example: instead of
     <PARAM name="concepts" value="http:/:...">
the <LINK> seems to be more appropriate, like
     <LINK content-role="doc" href="http://...">
     (the 'doc' value of the content-role would better
     be replaced by 'concepts' or 'context', it would
     require a slight modification of the schema)

There is however a difficulty if the suggestion is to have
<LABEL> as a child of <DESCRIPTION>, since an element may
*either* contain text *or* sub-elements -- a mixing of
text and elements (like an HTML text) cannot work easily.

But an alternative, which I find more attractive, would be
to allow several descriptions and several labels, something
like:

<DESCRIPTION context='latex'> Derived from $\nabla.\vec{E}=0$ </DESCRIPTION>
<DESCRIPTION> Derived from Maxwell equation <DESCRIPTION>
<LABEL context='latex'>$E_\perp$</LABEL>
<LABEL context='html'><![CDATA[E<sub>&#x22a5;</sub>]]></LABEL>

[notice the CDATA is required due to the mixing of text and elements]

I'm not sure everybody would agree, but it should not be impossible...

--Francois