concept representation/displaying language?

Roy Williams roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Fri Jun 5 09:01:58 PDT 2009

Carlos Rodrigo Blanco wrote:
> In that way, somebody can download the simple votable and, if he is
> interested in displaying, he can download the xfd document and do the
> matching.

Perhaps the key observation here is that if you have one of these
special VOTables (with T_{eff} etc), then you will have many of them.
Instead of putting all the semantics and presentation and meaning into
each VOTable instance, you have put them into a separate document --
data model, schema, stylesheet, whatever you want to call it.

The VOEvent syntax is similar in many ways to VOTable. We recognized
that events do not come singly, but in a stream of similarly structured
events. Therefore we built the VOEventStream object to hold the
information common to these. The stream is the metadata that goes in the
registry. See for example http://www.skyalert.org/streams/, and click on
"Detail" for any of the listed streams.

Similarly, we could build and register your "xfd" definitions, that
define community-specific, or application-specific subclasses of VOTable.

Roy

--

California Institute of Technology
626 395 3670