Spectra DM for theoretical spectra?

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Thu Jun 4 03:25:38 PDT 2009

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, bonnarel wrote:

>> I am afraid the experts on theory spectra should be consulted before
>> concluding that all is in SDM + provenance.
>
> Peter, I never claimed that. Have you seen that my little example rely on
> SimDB ?

Francois, it was nothing against you - I have referred to earlier
discussion that looked like the ALL solution is in adding provenance box
to SDM. Your example is clear (and have opened the Char level 4 questions
that we have intensively discussed last year).  But I am still not
convinced about the proper way how to use the nicely defined provenance
and other issues in practical astronomical analysis - it opens the
question of protocol, clients etc ....
As I have pointed recently  the way of accessing the theory spectra in
both VOSpec and SPLAT is very limited because of limitation of query
parameters (joined with utypes etc ..)

I am not the expert in the field but what I see as the most appropriate
(concerning theory spectra) for showing the strength of VO is the
automatic selection of best fitting model with given observed spectrum

Probably instead of academic discussions about the details of provenance
box (which may have the "fractal" nature;-) should Carlos and
Miguel suggest what they will provide an CONSUME (how the interface  for
astronomer will look like).
And what it will bring new to classical way of science work.

For me it was amazing to overplot the Kurucz model over my observed
spectrum in SPLAT and VOSpec - but again the problem of normalization etc
... This is what saves most time already.

*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute AS CR       Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                                                       *