Spectra DM for theoretical spectra?

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Tue Jun 2 03:36:47 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Carlos Rodrigo Blanco wrote:

> The main point, as I see it, is that the SpectrumDM is designed having
> observed spectra in mind, no theoretical ones.

> The model contains everything that is necesary to describe the content of a
> spectrum (the wavelength, flux and all that, and this is the same for
> observed and theoretical ones) but nothing of what is needed to
> __characterize__ a theoretical spectrum.

I see that Carlos was quicker then I - have read this just after finishing
my objections (basicaly the same as Carlos).

I see the problem not only in characterization of metadata in the SDM
but generally in the attitude ov VO community to the spectra and
especially theoretical ones. I see in everyday science that most
discoveries are done by comparison of theoretical results of given model
with observation - but it is done in a highly ineffective way - mostly by
manual comparison case by case.
The VO could here extremely rise the scientific productivity and attract
the researches to use it as here is the breakpoint where the even very
conservative astronomer would prefer to go the VO way in comparing
hundreds of models with  his observation.

The DEMOs like "get 1 spectrum from this telescope and overplot this
Kurucz model" is nice but the real science needs more.

So I suggest the SVO group should revise the TSAP (called e.g. S3;-)
and start the SSAv2 from this side. As I have seen there is no priority on
spectra extension in the DAL, the Theory group may be the proper driver.
I will be happy to collaborate on this effort.

I see that the problem of describing model parameters may solve some
problems I see with proper SSA of observed spectra - e.g. the way how they
were reduced (e.g. the usage of optimal extraction, removal of telluric
lines, convolution with instrumental profiles .... , how the continuum was
applied) is resembling the same issues as how the theory spectra were
created ..... we need both query parameters and characterization
(provenance) metadata to distinguish between different version of spectra
as results of different processing ....

In a some sence are all spectra only theoretical ;-)
as the observed ADUs directly detected on given pixels are converted to
what we call "observed spectrum" by the theoretical model of the
instrument and mathematical methods that seems to be obvious for the given
instrument.

*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute AS CR       Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                                                       *