Follow up for my question in Characterisation Data Model RFC

Fabien Chereau fchereau at eso.org
Tue Jun 26 04:53:44 PDT 2007

Hello Francois,

> A sensitivity on (x,y,lambda) can be such that it cannot be
> expressed as a
> product of s(x,y)*s(lambda)... and then the bounds and central position
> cannot be so easilly inferred from the separated supports ....
>   X ray astronomers have some exmaples of that ,an we will assess that
> for the
> next version ....

I agree, and this is unfortunately a problem which may require a large
re-design of the model. In the general case, all the axes are
inter-dependent and it becomes a bit strange to speak of spatial or
spectral axes, when both cannot be separated.
Maybe the name "CharacterisationAxis" should be replaced by "Frame".
Then it would be possible to define for each Frame all the properties
for each axis. This is close to the way the AST library is designed
(http://www.starlink.ac.uk/~dsb/ast/sun211.htx/sun211.html).

For example, in the AST vocabulary, the sensistivity (x,y,lambda) will
then naturally be defined as a "Mapping" between the sky frame and the
detector frame. Then, the central position can be very precisely defined
in these 2 frames for example by defining it as the barycenter of all
the projected positions of all the pixels of the dataset for all
frequencies. We will thus end-up with one central position per frame:
one in the sky frame which would be for example RA DE in degree, and
another one in the detector frame which would be for example in mm.

I am aware that this goes far beyond what is described in the existing
characterisation document so this is maybe more appropriate for a future
release of it, but this kind of design would allow for a very large
flexibility.

Cheers,
Fabien