[Fwd: VOTimeSeries]

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Mon Jul 2 08:07:24 PDT 2007

> Sorry to insist on this, but the reliability of the metadata is the
> most important part of the VO. Unreliable data are of little use.
> Reliable data with unreliable metadata can obviously lead to crazy
> results in the context of the VO.

I was agreeing with you.  The most basic metadata of all are the
definitions of the quantities in question.  Eight years of contending
with the precision timing community over leap seconds has convinced
me that even the "professionals" don't understand time - or,
pertinent to this discussion - representations of time.

I might also assert that unreliable data may go undetected and lead
to the same crazy results.  To say they are of "little use" is to
imply that the unreliability jumps out at you upon simple
inspection.  This is not always the case.

Rob