SED serialization

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Feb 13 08:35:47 PST 2007

Hi Ivo -

Perhaps it is better to look at it the other way around?  A simple
1D spectrum is a special case of a multi-segment SED with associated
metadata.  SED is clearly the more general case.  With this approach,
we still have the general case of a SED as described below, plus the
special case of a 1D spectrum (the Spectrum model), since it is so common.
The most powerful applications should be able to deal with either, but
many simpler applications may prefer to work with Spectrum, which also
covers most spectral survey data.

The SED model being proposed is not merely a multi-segment spectrum,
as it also needs general metadata describing the Dataset as a whole
(DataID, Curation, Target, Char, etc.), plus probably a table giving a
uniform view of the SED as a whole, with each segment reduced to a few
values with uniform units.  Then follows the multi-segment part as in
our original SED model, where an individual segment may be essentially
a complete observation in itself.  Since for SED the segments can come
from independent observations with different instruments, in the general
case it really is more than just a mere multi-segment spectrum.

	- Doug