SED serialization

Jonathan McDowell jcm at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 12 20:39:46 PST 2007

Paolo,

 Thanks for your posting of Feb 2; sorry for the delay in responding.
Your questions are good ones but basically
the answer is that they are all enhancements post version 1.0. I know that's
not the answer you want!

A new version of the doc is on my web site at

 http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~jcm/vo/docs/spec102/specrc2.pdf
 http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~jcm/vo/docs/spec102/specrc2.html

I'll send it to the VO doc coordinator if it survives a couple days without
anyone spotting horrible errors in it.

- About the FITS serialization. You are right about the binary table implementation
and that a SED could be written with multiple rows; although
at ADASS we agreed to postpone the implementation of the multiple-row SED
support for now. The typesetting of the data in the section 9.4 example is perhaps
misleading; it depends how your FITS application would represent the binary data
in the table - better to concentrate on the TTYPE/TFORM keys to see what is
intended.

- Magnitudes. Again, at ADASS we agreed to postpone the implementation of a
full photometric model with transmission curves to a later date; it will use
the spectrum model but add the zero point and the transmission curve.

- Hence, we're postponing work on the Spectral Associations until after the
current doc is approved, hopefully very soon. The old draft of the doc
is http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~jcm/vo/docs/spec96/sed96.pdf - but I know
that Doug Tody wants to take a different approach.

- Schema errors. Yep, we had already caught these and they are fixed in the
new version.

  - Jonathan