sexagesimal

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Sep 25 15:51:08 PDT 2006

I'm not sure I want to start this discussion up again, but having
scanned the emails after returning from travel I'm not sure I saw the
obvious mentioned, which is to use a similar HMS format to ISO 8601
time format.  We want to do that right, so that we can be consistent?
This also happens to be identical to the existing IRAF format for
sexagesimal numbers, which is in wide use.

Basically this is [+-]HH:MM:SS.SSS; whether we have hours or degrees
is a unit and need not affect the format.  A sexagesimal number in
this format can easily be parsed as a number - this is already done
in IRAF for example, which can equivalently accept either decimal
degrees or DMS, automatically recognizing the format while parsing.

Any astronomy standard for sexagesimal should specify a simple, fixed
format such as this as the "blessed" format.  Of course, for legacy data
and user input a smarter parser is needed, but that is a separate
problem and we don't need to accept a wide range of formats in a
formatting standard.

 	- Doug