sexagesimal

Alberto Conti aconti at stsci.edu
Mon Sep 18 10:56:23 PDT 2006

On Sep 18, 2006, at 11:32 AM, Rob Seaman wrote:

> I think the nonchalant way this discussion has proceeded reflects
> how few people take spherical trig as undergraduates.  Anybody who
> has ever cracked open Wm. Smart's book knows enough to be afraid,
> very afraid :–)
>

> I think this discussion is a question of data entry and
> classification, not of mandating specific formats.

Don't be nonchalant about this! Is there a course you can suggest I
take on data entry and classification (on top of my mandatory
spherical trig refresh)? ;-)

I believe the issue IS formats. The IVOA should recommend a standard
for the VO grounded in what users need/want thereby "guiding" users
toward a better experience  and an easier integration of VO tools.

My $0.02 (0.00001032... of old Liras)
-A
Alberto Conti, Ph.D.
Chief Engineer
Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI)
3700 San Martin Drive, Baltimore MD 21218
Tel: 410-338-4534   Fax: 410-338-1592