sexagesimal

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Sun Sep 17 13:16:08 PDT 2006

Roy,

   What is the motivation to allow any and all reasonable formats for
sexagesimal?   Why do we need to carry forward format choices that are
well over 65 million years old (as Bob Seaman tells us)?  Should we
allow, say, up to 90 white monolithic rocks, followed by a stick or
hole, followed by...?  If there were a single VO recommended notation,
couldn't every data center simply convert their documents to that form?
If a  PhD scientist is told, "enter the position in this format", most
could probably manage to do so (anyway, you do need some minimal IQ
requirements for the VOclub, don't you?).
  One reason why I am worried about opening up this pandora's box too
wide  is that after we agree to a sexagesimal format, we will need to
work on errors on sexagesimal format, which might get a bit ornary, as
in: 23h 12m 13.3s +55:20:12.6+-14.6' 22m 12.4".  But of course, Pandora
just peeked into the box and now so have we.

Ed