sexagesimal

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sat Sep 16 17:16:18 PDT 2006

On Sat 2006-09-16T15:44:24 -0700, Roy Williams hath writ:
> I believe that the IVOA should Recommend something. Not a requirement.

I guess I'm too entrenched in other international arenas, for I ask
Can there really be things stronger than recommend?

> My suggestion is to say that the IVOA understands a sexagesimal
> position if and only if it fits the definition as "six numbers
> separated by non-numbers". It is a very simple defintion and yet
> accepts almost all the formats that are used.

The FITS world constrained DATExxxx strings to a much tighter
subset of the ISO specification.  Will there really be much
contention if IVOA demands a similarly restricted set?

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory        Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99858