[Fwd: Re: Mixed content]

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Fri Sep 15 10:20:28 PDT 2006

Rob Seaman wrote:
>> <RSS_Feed>
>>     <API>
>>         <Article>
>> <IVOmember>Alasdair Allen</IVOmember> <url>
>> http://www.babilim.co.uk/blog/ </url> and  <NVOmember>Mathew
>> Graham</NVOmember>  at <institution>Caltech</institution> ,
>> <IVOmember>Guy Rixen </IVOworker>, and <NVOmember>Bob
>> Seaman</NVOmember> came to agreement, perhaps for the first time
>> about anything, that mixed content might be allowed in the <A
>> href="http://www.ivoa.net/">IVO</A>.
>
> Isn't <NVOmember> subclassed from <IVOmember>?
Yes.   I would have subclassed the others as well, but I did not know
the species for them.

>> However many others, too numerous to name, felt strongly that mixed
>> content is a definite no-no.
>
> "Too numerous to name" raises the question of how IVOA should
> represent the transfinite cardinal numbers.  How about:
>
>     <Aleph subscript="NULL" />
Looks good.  <Aleph0/> could be define as a fixed literal of the unicode
value for that symbol

> Although, by definition, "too numerous to name" would suggest a number
> of members of at least order:
>
>     <Aleph subscript="one" />
>
> suggesting that Alasdair, Matthew, Guy and myself have been soundly
> outvoted.
I believe so.  You three should be ashamed of yourselves for
contemplating complexities
beyond human imagination or present toolset, whichever comes first.

>> As for me, I would never be caught creating mixed content as that
>> would be way too confusing to be understood by any parser much less a
>> mere human.
>>        </Article>
>>    </API>
>> </RSS_Feed>
>
> Say wha?
>
> Rob

I guess this is my first letter to the editor of my news service.

Ed