[Fwd: Re: Mixed content]

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Fri Sep 15 09:04:37 PDT 2006

<RSS_Feed>
     <API>
         <Article>

 In <workgroup>IVO_DM</workgroup> news today, a debate

raged over the use of mixed format in XML.  <Definition>Mixed
Format,<meaning>when an element type can hold both strings and child
elements</meaning></Definition>, is a part of the original XML 1.0
specification and is <emphasis>needed</emphasis> in most any element
holding a long description of <emphasis>anything</emphasis> and, since
the inception of  XML Schema (with the demotion of General Entities),
any string requiring special characters, as in ampersand, <amp/>, or
<eacute/> (eg. <Eacute/>cole).   <IVOmember>Alasdair Allen</IVOmember>
<url> http://www.babilim.co.uk/blog/ </url> and  <NVOmember>Mathew
Graham</NVOmember>  at <institution>Caltech</institution> ,
<IVOmember>Guy Rixen </IVOworker>, and <NVOmember>Bob Seaman</NVOmember>
came to agreement, perhaps for the first time about anything, that mixed
content might be allowed in the <A href="http://www.ivoa.net/">IVO</A>.
However many others, too numerous to name, felt strongly that mixed
content is a definite no-no.  As for me, I would never be caught creating
mixed content as that would be way too confusing to be understood by any
parser much less a mere human.
        </Article>
    </API>
</RSS_Feed>