Spectrum data model

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 13 10:21:04 PDT 2006

Hi,

the IVO identifiers that we in GWS-WG suggest for naming formats are URIs.
They have a path part on the end. As Paul Harrison has noted, the path implies
a hierarchy, but no hierarchical meaning is set by the IVO-ID standard. We
could define such a hierarchy for the format names, so that a consumer could
distinguish levels of structure. E.g., if we write

  ivo://vospace.ivoa.net/formats/FITS/table/spectrum-DM

to indicate a spectrum conforming to the data model, then we _could_ define
this to be a sub-class of

 ivo://vospace.ivoa.net/formats/FITS/table

Any use?

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523