Spectrum data model

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Sep 13 08:46:57 PDT 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Matthew Graham wrote:

> Mark Taylor wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Matthew Graham wrote:
> >

> >> Hi,

> >> The VOSpace specification uses uris to identify data formats and the
> >> idea is that these will be registered somewhere, e.g.
> >> ivo://net.ivoa.vospace/views/fits-table. It would make sense for both
> >> groups at least to use the same uris.
> >>

> > Matthew
> >
> > Dave Morris made this point to me at the VOTech meeting in Strasbourg
> > last week, but I'm not sure I was thinking very clearly about it at
> > the time.  A question which occurs to me now: does VOSpace require
> > a single data format per file (or entry, or whatever the correct
> > term is), or can a single file be labelled with multiple different
> > data format URIs at the same time?
> >
> > Mark
> >

> Hi,
>
> If the data object is stored in a StructuredDataNode then multiple data
> views are allowed: this is, of course, implementation dependent but the
> idea is that if a VOSpace supported this, a FITS image might be
> retrievable as a JPEG or a GIF, etc. or a FITS table as a VOTABLE or CSV.
>
> If the data object is stored in an UnstructuredDataNode then essentially
> bits in = bits out so only one view is allowed and that is the input view.

I wasn't thinking about data views (in the VOSpace sense) here.
What I had in mind was the fact that assigning a single registered
URI to describe the data type of a file in VOSpace may be problematic
if the resolution of these types is sufficient to do things like
distinguish different FITS-based spectrum serializations.

The kind of data format identifier one would need to label a specific
spectrum serialization, which is what I was suggesting in my original
message, would have to be something with at least a level of detail like
"VOTable serialization of spectrum as defined by the Spectral DM standard",
and possibly be labelled by a version of that document as well.
This may be too specific for the kind of data type you'd want to
attach to a file in VOSpace, which I'd have thought would be nearer
to MIME types, e.g.  "this is a VOTable".  Of course, it all depends
on the requirements of the client that is retrieving that file,
which makes it problematic to provide a single one-size-fits-all
data type.

Mark