Identification model in VO Spectrum Model

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Sat Oct 28 08:22:25 PDT 2006

Hi Rob -

This is a fine general statement about instrumental datasets which gets
into many of the issues, but we are talking about a standardized data
model and dataset here.  Note that for spectra we do not generally want
to return instrumental datasets (since there is no standard format)
but instead data conforming to the spectral data model.

OBSID is a good example.  When NOAO data is published to the VO, the
OBSID should be converted to a CreatorDID - this is the same thing,
just in the form of an IVOA identifier, with NOAO as the authority.
If the CreatorDID is given, then this, plus possible the creation date
and version (if there are multiple versions), is enough to uniquely
identify the dataset.  It would also be good to identify the collection,
which in this example would be the instrumental data collection.

Essentially everything you mention below is covered in the SSA
documents, except for something like a checksum for the dataset file,
since in VO we are generally dealing with virtual data, or data which
may be curated and published by someone other than the creating entity
(and often modified at the bitstream level even though the content of
the data is not significantly changed).  Hence we make a distinction
between fundamental dataset identity (the survey or observatory which
created it), and curation/publication.  Provenance, e.g., production
of virtual data from a more fundamental dataset by a service, is
also covered.  For example, cutouts from two different regions of the
same fundamental dataset.

Dealing with all this generic dataset metadata (also physical
characterization) was a major goal of the SSA effort.  Most of this
is not specific to spectra at all, but applies to any type of data.
Be sure to review the protocol document as well as the data model,
in particular the "concepts" section.

 	- Doug