Identification model in VO Spectrum Model

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Wed Oct 25 12:10:10 PDT 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Pavlos Protopapas wrote:
> I hope this is not being already discussed tons of times but
> in the latest document of VO Sectrum DM I have (0.98d Rev 4)
> in the data identification model (sec 5.5) states that all dataid fields are
> optional. Shouldn't we have at least the Curation.PublisherDID be MAN ?

When it comes to what is mandatory, recommended, or optional, one thing
to bear in mind is that this depends upon the context.  The defaults in
Spectrum mainly address what is needed to work with an individual dataset.
When the data model is is used for a data query however, the SSA protocol
defines what is mandatory or recommended, and this overrides what is
specified in the underlying data model.  Hence in reviewing what is
mandatory or optional, one really needs to look at both documents, and
decide whether the use-case is data discovery and selection, or analysis
of an actual dataset.  (Note also, there is a distinction between DataID
and Curation).

 	- Doug