Photometry in VO Spectrum Model

Ed Shaya eshaya at umd.edu
Tue Oct 24 09:35:44 PDT 2006

Jon,
	Oh, yes! So, let's cover this point as well.  The topic began as a
discussion on spectra.  If it is relative or uncalibrated, each pixel's
Fv in the spectrum will be an integral over the wavelengths range within
the pixel, as you specified.  A calibration COULD remove this and give a
true F_nu.  Whether it really does or not depends on how sophisticated
the calibration code is, but generally the difference between the two in
a spectrum is ignorable.
	In photometry, if one bans magnitudes, one has two types of F_nu.  In
one, the filter's transmission curve has been theoretically removed,
perhaps by assuming a spectral template based on the type or temperature
of the object.  Here one has to be alert to the fact that this is always
just a crude estimation.  The other is a band-F_nu which is actually the
numerator in your expression below, ie what you get from
band-F_nu(std)*10^(-m/2.5).
	The convention has been to express the former as Flux F_nu and the
latter is just kept as a magnitude M_band.  But not always so, and there
is no critical argument that says it must remain so.  It is after all a
matter of taste.  More properly, it is a matter of how distasteful it is
to provide some additional code to handle astronomers' quirks.  I think
the two of us agree that a bit of extra code is not so terrible.

Ed
PS - I think with this, I sign off, as I am no longer vo funded.