VO Spectrum discussion at Tucson

Jonathan McDowell jcm at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Sun Oct 22 19:15:02 PDT 2006

ADASS VO Spectrum meeting
-------------------------

Some of us met at the Tucson ADASS (JCM, Doug Tody, Kelly McCusker,
Randy Thompson, Inga Kamp, Pedro Osuna, Jesus Saldago, Alberto Micol,
Pavlos Protopapas, Igor Chilingarian, Tamas Budavari, Roy Williams,
and, I seem to remember, someone else really obvious who slips my mind -sorry)

We reviewed what changes would be needed to get the Spectrum
document from 0.98d to 1.0. I hope to have the 1.0 release candidate 1
document out in a day or so; I'm nearly done with the updates.
Summary of discussion:

Changes:
--------

Roy: Is Spectrum.Curation consistent with Resource Curation?

 - Yes, except:
   Doug has argued that certain fields from Curation should actually be in
   our Spectrum.DataID object rather than in Spectrum.Curation.
   Namely: Creator, Logo, Contributor. These are currently in DataID, not Curation.

Alberto: Would like to be able to use Spectrum for transmission curves and polarization.
 - Yes, added the relevant UCD options to Table 2/3.

Randy and Inga: A list of detailed comments on the FITS serialization, which
 I believe I have now either addressed or rejected.

Implementations:
---------------

Tamas: Will send example of current Spectrum Service VOTABLE. Jonathan and Kelly
       will annotate changes that need to be made.

We should ask Markus and PeterQuinn about ESO spectra and possible implementations.

Issues not affecting the Spectrum PR
------------------------------------

Pedro: Usage of data models and utypes in the query language.
            - query language syntax to get  "give me FK5 RA in this range for this resource"
            - No utype to do this; currently need "give me coord in this range where coordsys is FK5 RA"
            - want  "give me F-lambda at this lambda for this resource"
            - currently need "give me FluxAxis value at this SpectralCoord where FluxAxis ucd = F-lambda
                     and SpectralCoord UCD = em.wl"
            - VOQL says we need an easier way of doing this; action Pedro/Doug/JCM to figure one out.

Randy:  We need a Spectrum and SSA validator.  Igor will work on one; SAO will also probably work on one
            eventually.

 I hope that I have reflected the discussion correctly.
 - Jonathan