Charac Answer

Arnold Rots arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 1 11:18:41 PDT 2005

Just a few comments from STC perspective.
STC distinguishes between velocity, redshift, and spectral axes.
Velocity is part of the spatial frame (literally the time derivative
of position) and would be used where a true velocity is measured, for
instance in ephemerides or theoretical data.
Redshift covers redshift as well as Doppler velocity, i.e., where a
quantity with a kinematic notion is derived from the spectral axis,
using a specific formalism.
Spectral is just that.

It's unlikely to have velocity and redshift in the same coordinate
system, but redshift and spectral are quite feasible.  In fact, I would
always recommend to have a spectral axis, even if it had only a single
pixel, to store the rest frequency; obviously, that axis will have
multiple pixels if data from different spectral lines are combined in
a single n-dim image or visibility set.

The exchange on channel width and spacing illustrates that resolution
and pixelsize always need to be specified separately.

It may sound strange, but ObservatoryLocation is actually part of the
coverage.  I'll grant you that it makes no difference for
far-field objects, but it is essential for doing research on
near-field objects in far-field observations and vice-versa -
especially if you have a spacecraft that goes regularly a third of the
distance to the moon.
In addition, the ObservatoryLocation (and particularly its
time-derivative) is essential for redshift and spectral analysis.
Coverage pertains to all coordinate axes.

  - Arnold

Anita Richards wrote:

> >> Axes
> >> What is 'cinematic' - is this the temporal+spatial analogy of a
> >> spectral+spatial data cube?
> >>

> > No, no ; for us kinematic was just the velocity axis.
>
> Ah!  Because to Brits cinematic with a c is like cinema!  Now I understand.
> thanks.
>
> So my comment about not having a velocity axis and needing one is wrong
> anyway.
>
> > We are aware that "spectral transition" and "radial velocity"
> > information are mixed on the wavelength axis. Probably we had in mind
> > simple cases where the relationship between  lambda and the velocity is
> > simple and unique  (single emission line for example). The overlapping
> > case you are adressing is "strange" because one single data dimension
> > (the "spectrum") is described by two independant axis: wavelength and
> > velocity. But if you present this kind of data as a velocity spectrum,
> > how much do you need ? one per spectral structure ?
>
> In the first example I can think of, yes, but I would welcome input from other
> regimes...
>
> >     We also remember that Jonathan was in defavour of having two
> > different axes. Jonathan, could you argument that?
> >    Ok, we agree. BTW Are the channel width and channel spacing the same
> > with  Visibility data?
>
> The minimum available is determined by what is in the visibility data but you
> can average together an arbitrary No of channels, e.g. if you start with a
> visibility data set with 240 good channels you can squash them all together for
> a continuum image; you can squash together every 3 for an 80-channel cube, you
> can make an unsquashed 240 channels ube (and you can apply spectral smoothing
> so that yu end up with e.g. 240 channels with a separation of 1 kHz but an
> effective FWHM of 1.4 kHz...)
>

> >> 3.1
> >> etc. etc.) in enough detail for extraction and processing.  As far as
> >> I can see some of the top layers of the Characterisation model could
> >> map to the Registry model but I would like to see this done explicitly
> >> with cut-offs.
> >    We do not totally catch you here, what is "cut-off" for here?
>
> Sorry, I am not entirely sure what I meant either but I think what I meant was
> that the Registry shuold be kept simple, so the finer-grained detail from
> Characterisation is not necessary for the registry - but where they desribe the
> same concepts theys should be consistent.
> >
> >    Well: that's a tricky point:
> >     1) Registry RM is dealing with "Resources"
> > and Characterization with individual (but also collections of) DataSets.
> >    This may intersect in some cases, but generally not: not all
> > Observations or even collections will gain a "Resource" status.
> >     2) Characterization is layered while Registry  RM is not.
> >     Anyway that would have been nice if Characterization level 1 and RM
> > could have shared the same formalism. Historically it was not possible, but
> [...]
Arnold H. Rots                                Chandra X-ray Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 67                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head.cfa.harvard.edu